Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Collective Behavior in YouTube



Before reading this article, I immediately looked up “Bus Uncle” on YouTube and watched it.
Some parts were funny but most of it was kind of irritating how the older man wouldn’t stop arguing and fighting with the other man. If I was on that bus I would have gotten up and told the man to relax! This video really proves how the smallest thing caught on video and posted on to YouTube, can go viral within minutes. The fact that people can comment on videos or re-post a video response or their own version of the original video makes communication on the web even more open.
“Unlike in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries when elite opinion prevailed, new media have now made mass opinion possible (van Ginneken, 2003).” New media like YouTube has opened up so many doors for mass communication, and allows people all over the world to talk to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment