Friday, March 25, 2011

Second Life

Personally, I have never used Second Life, or even seen someone else I know using it.
Because of this, I have always been very interested in the program and wanted to know more about it. I watched the True Life episode of online lives, featuring Second Life as one of the three examples. The girl on the show was too shy to play her music in front of people in real life, so she used Second Life as an outlet to do so. I thought although this is kind of unrealistic, it is still cool that she is able to play her music for an audience.

Although I have never used Second Life, I would have to agree that it is definitely more of a world or creative environment instead of a competitive video game. My feelings about using the program as a “hands on” learning tool are similar to Judy Wajcman as in the point that “we are orienting and experiencing [our]selves in relation to new media technologies... While there is a thrilling quality to these pioneering endeavors, we must not be hypnotized by the hype that is now ubiquitous” (p. 75)I still believe that although these new media tools may be helpful, nothing will ever beat real life hands on experiences. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. I too had heard of Second Life but never tried it myself. I didn't know that True Life did an episode about online lives. I loved the story that you mentioned. I think that is so cool that she found an outlet to share her talent. I can understand that people may have a hard time interacting with people in real life and feel more comfortable interacting online. However, I definitely agree with you. I don't think that these new media tools will ever beat real life hands on experiences. Although I think that online interacting can be great, it will never be a replacement for real life.

    ReplyDelete