Friday, March 11, 2011

The Technology and The Society


It is true that television has altered our world in many different ways.
People have become much more respondent and reliant on receiving information through an audio-visual form of media. In the past, it was the only way people knew how to get information; radios and paper news were no longer considered reliable. Families would spend their time together in front of the television, and discuss what ever they were viewing. The article explains that television came was not just one invention, but it was a development from many inventions. It began with electricity, telegraphy, photography, motion pictures and radio. Without these previous inventions, television would have never been born.
Although I slightly resent the TV because it can bring upon many negative consequences, I am grateful for such a convenient invention. I mostly use the TV as wind down time for my brain. I usually watch food network or the cooking channel, because you can still learn things from these two channels and it isn’t just mindless entertainment. I know when I have children I will never resort to the TV as a babysitter. TV has contributed to the rise in obesity, since there is so much to watch and it can become so addicting, no one wants to go outside and be active anymore, especially children. 

1 comment:

  1. That's good how you don't want to let TV influence your kids in the future. We always talk about how kids should play more outdoors but it's hard when risk of children getting kidnapped has increased. That's a good point you make about food network also being educational. Television would have come around sooner or later, and I think its purpose was to inform the audience with news much faster. Television is still the number one medium for source of news. That's the only thing I watch TV for, that and Glee :) The positive side to television, as you sort of mentioned, is that it brings families together. Not necessarily to discuss the news, but for some wind down time :) Some shows, especially comedies, are good distractions from the stress we encounter in life.

    ReplyDelete