Thursday, April 7, 2011

Personal Dynamic Media



While reading this article, I am really surprised the Dynabook didn’t stick.
I also wonder if the iPad, Kindle and other small portable computer tablets got their ideas from this design. “Much of the hardware and software was successful from the standpoint of computer science state-of-the-art research, but lacked sufficient
expressive power to be useful to an ordinary user.” Because of this, the creators decided for their target to be children. The program is interactive enough to engage a child’s attention, and help them learn. This point bothers me a little, I hate that children these days are so consumed with technology and that marketers take advantage of their nativity.  To think that a child would spend hours using a Dynabook or any other technological device is worrisome to me. Children obesity is at almost 90% and devices like these only add to this growing problem.  Analyzing all of these articles and learning the statistics makes me feel bad for the kids that are addicted to technology, and don’t understand the joy of playing outside. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marylou,

    I also wonder the same about where the iPad and other small portable computers derived from. But from the specs on the Dynabook, I am sure that some of the ideas were from that.

    Unfortunately, sometimes when you have overprotective parents, technology becomes one of the solutions for children to resort to. Additionally, I think that technology such as the iPad is usually used in place when busy parents are not around to entertain their kids. Although this might sound horrible, I am sure that when parents do find the time, they do take their kids out to play. :)

    ReplyDelete