This article came out on Wired, explaining a proposition for
a new mass transit schedule app for smart phones.
18 people were asked to hand
their keys over for a week, and instead rode the local transit system to
whatever destination they needed. They were able to use an app designed to give
them real time information about transit schedules, delays, shops and services
along the route. By offering these choices with an app for mass transit, it
puts the rider in more control over their experience. By knowing the delays you
are able to plan your schedule accordingly, and have an easier ride.
Mass transit has never been viewed as a desirable way to
travel. I know when I took the light-rail to school I dreaded it. The trains
were almost always never on time and I didn’t have any way of knowing the stops
unless I looked online before I left my house. If I had been able to get
immediate updates somehow to know these things ahead of time, it would haven’t
been such a bad experience. Taking mass transit could be a huge opportunity to
save the environment and spend less money on gas. If there was a free app made
for all smart phones that listed times and delays, people might find riding mass
transit more appealing.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/04/how-smartphones-can-improve-public-transit/
No comments:
Post a Comment