Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blogging: Self Presentation and Privacy


After reading the piece in the article about privacy and the different theories about what it actually means, I realized I don’t really agree with any of the ideas proposed.
The only one I could slightly relate to was the theory of Warren and Brandeis, that privacy is “the right to be let alone.” People always say, “Mind your own business” but it seems these days that everyone else’s business is just so much more interesting. In all honesty, privacy has pretty much died out over the years due to “reality” shows popping up everywhere and becoming more popular daily. Yes, people do have the right to share what they want, when they want, and to what extreme, but because of the curiosity of knowing every aspect of each other’s lives it is harder to keep that control. Personally, I consider myself extremely private, compared to the standard of privacy in our generation. With the hundreds of thousands of young adults and teens who bare all on the internet with no shame, and pour their deepest secrets out into blogs and social networking sites, it seems that this new idea of privacy, doesn’t match any of the previous theories from the article.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting insight on this article. Blogging is one of those things I cant really get into, but I can see why people do. Knowing you are being read is one hell of a feeling, and not knowing who is reading is creepy as hell. These two feelings may form some sort of new feeling that the online generation has that gets them exited-- wanting to post more or read more. I liken it to stalking, but not as upfront. People want to be read and heard, and other people are simply interested in what is being said just for the heck of it. I understand status updates on Twitter and Facebook more than I understand blogging, but I find them to be similar in that they are public offerings of personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete