Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The End of Books

The first thing that popped out to me in this article was that the author believed letting students write on the computer in the form of a hypertext writing workshop, furthered the end of books.
 I definitely agree that computers in general have slowly caused the end of books. The availability to read and write on the computer makes books less of a demand, and more of an old school way of reading. I remember back in elementary school that all writing assignments were hand written, and now children at the same school I went to use computers in place of this.
“Electronic text processing marks the next major shift in information technology after the development of the printed book. It promises (or threatens) to produce effects on our culture, particularly on our literature, education, criticism and scholarship, just as radical as those produced by Gutenberg’s movable type.”(Landow) I feel that this is a great comparison between electronic text processing and Gutenberg’s movable type, because they both had or will have such a huge impact on how we read, write, and communicate with one another. Email replaced letters, online newspapers have replaced hard copies, and Facebook has replaced all other interaction and communication.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Everything had to be hand written and we even had to waste our time learning how to write cursive. Now, I have yet to turn in a paper hand written and even most assignments are done via the internet. It is a great thing, but is is a great thing for education? I guess we will soon find out! I do like being able to do quizzes and tests online, I am able to do it in the comfort of my own home and at a time that is best for me without the distraction of other students around me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that hypertext is furthering the end of books. I remember when I was younger and I school reports or research to I would have to go to the library to pick up books, but now I find that I usually use online sources to do my schoolwork. It is much easier to find information via websites, the only thing you have to really be conscious of is if the websites and it’s information is reliable. But now with the introduction of such things as the Kindle and Ebooks and having books available online.. I don't think that’ll be much of a worry anymore.

    ReplyDelete