Friday, April 15, 2011

Suicide Note On Facebook

After reading this posting on the All Facebook news site, I am still in complete shock.
A mother of four children drove her mini-van into the Hudson River on Tuesday after writing about it on Facebook. The saddest thing was that in the car with her were her four children, killing three of them along with herself. I don't know what is more shocking to me; the fact that she actually did this, or the fact that she wrote the suicide note on Facebook half an hour before it happened. Her note on Facebook read, "I’m so sorry everyone forgive me please for what I’m gonna do…. This Is It!!!!” According to the Associated Press, she was seen speeding through an intersection towards the boat's launch entrance before hitting the water. The investigation is still trying to figure out why she did this, but apparently the friday before that, she was charged with child endangerment after one of her sons was found alone in the streets half naked. This is such a horrible situation, and obviously she was an incredibly un-fit mother, but the children should have never been brought into her suicide. The fact that she had the nerve to write a post about it on her blackberry before driving her car into the river is also very unnerving. This whole situation is incredibly sad, and it proves just how prevalent Facebook is in our society and culture. 


http://www.allfacebook.com/n-y-mom-left-suicide-note-on-facebook-2011-04

2 comments:

  1. Hey MaryLou.

    I am shocked as well. I am positive that the mother had some type of mental disorder. I try not to judge; however, it is hard not to pass judgement on an individual that harms society. I cannot believe that she drove her children into the water with her! What a horrible situation. She even announced it on Facebook indirectly... What did that status update do for her? Did it give her power? Was it her new media version of a confession? Was she looking for sympathy? Her update was an alarming one. Can you imagine seeing it on your News Feed? Honestly, if I saw an update like that, my heart would drop, especially if I was emotionally attached to the writer. How Horrible. New media is a conduit for and transmitter of messages, both good and bad.

    Jay from the Bay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    I also chose this article because it was not only shocking but sad that someone used Facebook as a suicidal note/apology outlet. The article made me so appalled because it said she killed three of her four children. I just could not believe that! I mean her kids were not too old most likely and to see that she took their childhood and the rest of their life from them because of her own reasons, and posted it online for everyone to see was sad.

    Great post overall!

    ReplyDelete